of Far Eastern Studies
The Institute of Far Eastern Studies (IFES) is a leading scientific research institution of the Russian Academy of Science. The institute conducts research work on fundamental problems and development of economy, history, foreign policy, philosophy and culture of China, Japan, Korea as well as international policy issues and economic integration in the Asia-Pacific Region.
Since its establishment the IFES RAS has become one of the largest reseach centers conducting intergated studies on the Northeast Asia problems, situation on the Korean Peninsula and relationship between Russia and the countries of the region.
The Institute of Far Eastern Studies continues best of two hundred years' traditions of Russian oriental studies, Sinology in particular, that were established in XIX-XX centuries by distinguished scholars – members of the Academy of Sciens, N. Bichurin, V. Vasiliev, V. Alekseev, N. Konrad and others. Priority areas of its research activities are as follows: scientific support of a relationship program for our country and its Far Eastern neighbours, developement and security issues of the Northeast and Central Asia, studies on history, modern life, social and economic development and spheres of life of China, Japan, Democratic People's Republic of Korea and Republic of Korea.
The Institute is headed by doctor of sciences (history), professor Sergey G. Lusyanin.
Currently, over 100 scholars of Oriental studies work in the Institute including economists, historians, phylosophers, political analysts and linguists. Among them are academicians S. Tikhvinsky and M. Titarenko, leading scientists Y. Berger, L. Boni, N. Borevskaya, Y. Galenovich, S. Gorbunova, L. Gudoshnikov, A. Kartunova, L. Kondrashova, V. Kuznetsov, N. Mamayeva, S. Lusyanin, A. Lukyanov, A. Ostrovsky, E. Pivovarova, V. Portyakov, S. Toroptsev, V. Usov, et al. Their work has resulted in the establishment of world-recognized schools and trends in studies of East Asian history, economy, foreign policy, philosophy and culture. All members of scientific staff know Oriental and European languages.
IFES Research Centers
- Center for the Studies and Forecasting of Russia-China Relations («Russia-China» Center)
- Center for Chinese Economy and Social Studies
- Center for Chinese Politics Studies
- Center for Comparative Studies of the Northeast Asian Civilizations.
- Center for the Studies of Contemporary Chinese History
- Center for the Studies of the Northeast Asia Strategic Issues and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization
- Center for Korean Studies
- Center for Japanese Studies
- Center for the Study of Vietnam and ASEAN
- Scientific Information and Documentation Center
IFES Subsidiary Departments
- Scientific Publishing Department
- Foreign Ties Department
- Scientometrics and Information Technology Department
- Postgraduate and Doctoral Studenship Department
Branches of the Institute
The IFES Branch in the Chita State University (established in December 2004).
The IFES Branch in the St. Petersburg State University, Department of Oriental Studies (established in December 2009).
The primary objective of the Institute is the pursuance of fundamental and applied scientific research and developement in the field of history, politics, economy and culture of Eastern Asian countries.
The key areas of research are as follows:
- Formation of a polycentric world and Eastern Asian measurement of national security of Russia. Russia and the APR in the XXI century.
- The process of economic integration in the Eastern Asia and Asia-Pacific Region and best ways for Russia and primarily for its eastern regions to join the process.
- Comprehensive analysis and social, political and economy development forecast for the Eastern Asian countries.
- Reforming Russia and China in the XXI century's globalization and regionalization. Potential for co-development.
- The role of Russia, China and India in the maintainance of strategic balance in the Central Asia. The Shanghai Cooperation Organization development problems.
- History of development of Russian-Chinese, Russian-Japanese relations and relations between Russia and the countries of Korean peninsula. Documents and forecasts.
- Inter-civilization dialogue in the Eastern Asia.
Publications and Conferences
Annually, the Institute publishes about 30 monographies and collected documents and articles, 10 research and information miscellanies. It also organizes 7 scientific conferences.
International scientific cooperation
The IFES RAS maintains scientific ties with almost 40 research institutions in China, Republic of Korea, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Japan, Vietnam, India, United States, Germany, France and Italy.
The main areas of international research cooperation:
- Development of collaborative studies with foreign research centers;
- Organization of bilateral and multilateral conferences, workshops, round tables on urgent scientific challenges.
- Participation in similar events hosted by foreign research centers
- Outward research trips for the Institute's research officers;
- Scientific and research literature exchange.
The Institute officers are members of a number of international scientific research organizations, such as European Association of Chinese Studies, European Association for Japanese Studies, International Confucian Association, International Association for Asian Studies, International Association for Korean Studies, International Congress of Asian and North African Studies, International Association for Comparative Pedagogy, etc.
- Address: 32, Nakhimovsky Av., Moscow, 117997, Russia
- Tel.: +7 499 124 02 13 (Foreign Ties Department, Tamara KARGANOVA)